Thursday, January 13, 2011

The 7 Deadly Scenes

Yes, that’s it. That’s how many scenes we have left before we FINISH our novel, and Larry is newly energized by the “light at the end of the tunnel.”

I never really had any doubt. I’m stubborn that way.

Deadly scenes? Somebody in our writer’s group said a few weeks ago about our main character, “I hope Casey doesn’t die.”

I hate it when authors kill main characters. (Spoiler Alert! Spoiler Alert!) Dean Koontz totally ticked me off by killing the completely innocent love interest at the end of Odd Thomas. Was that really necessary? Just because a of the tragey he promised in chapter one? Other things would have been tragic! Now I won’t read his books until my mom screens them for me, and I know the important people live to the end.

Why are the scenes deadly? Well, the book has bad guys with big guns. Somebody has to die eventually.

Are ALL seven scenes deadly? No, but it made for a catchier title. Larry makes you laugh with his scenes while in mine the bullets are flying and so is the blood.

It’s all very exciting. We divided up the scenes that are left, he’s begun writing his,  and I’ve begun writing mine. The end is in sight.

I was talking to a friend of mine about our book, and he asked, “Then you’re finished?” Well, define “finished.” The novel is done. Then we start the rewrite. Then Beta readers. Then the RE-rewrite. So, no we’re not DONE done, only mostly done.

Seven deadly scenes? Okay, actually there are only two deadly scenes, so the odds are definitely stacked in Casey’s favor!

No comments: