Monday, April 11, 2011

Now where are my ruby flip flops?

            After a year and a half of submitting our novel chapter by chapter to the critique group, last week we received our final critique.
How does that feel? Well, considering how the previous chapter had been pulverized as though by flying monkeys, you could say I was deeply, painfully nervous. And the fact that I had to face it alone (Larry couldn’t be there) only brought my nerves closer to the surface.
When the critiques began, they were good, with very few suggestions for changes. I just knew they were lulling me into a false sense of security, and then somebody would POUNCE! “Ha ha ha! I rip up your manuscript and eat it for breakfast! Ha ha!” and of course, the flying monkey had a French accent.
Then when I least expected it, Debby said, “I had an emotional response when I printed your last chapter this week. I won’t get to see these characters again.”
Speechless, I sat there with my mouth slack, trying to think of something to say. 
“Thank you?”
Although that was what came out, “thank you” was hardly sufficient to convey my appreciation for the most deeply gratifying, validating thing I’ve heard since we started bringing our story to them.
So while she’s grieving for the characters she’ll miss, I’m basking in the glow of accomplishment, wishing Larry had been there to share it.
But now it’s back to revising, which will be a whole lot easier knowing that we’re not trying to make a silk purse out of a flying monkey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi becky, I just read a few of your blogs and really enjoyed and if your book is anything like your blog writing, I would love to read it when it gets published. Let me know. Kraizaja@yahoo.com